The Lyric Theatre and Council
The Lyric Theatre is a not-for-profit 501 (c) 3 organization overseen by The Lyric Council Board of Directors. The Lyric Council was first formed in 1995 with the goal of restoring The Lyric Theatre and is now the governing body of The Lyric.
The Board of Directors consists of twelve members, elected by Lyric members annually, who serve for three-year terms. All Lyric members are invited to nominate and vote for new Board members at the Council’s annual meeting, usually held in February. Board members meet monthly to discuss the Theatre’s financial reports, programs, and other theatre business.
Lyric Council Board of Directors
- Don Drapeau, Chair
- Douglas Garnett-Deakin, Vice Chair
- Joseph Simmons, Secretary
- Brennan Shepard, Treasurer
- Cynthia Graham
- Ryan Jones
- Thomas Mills
- Mary Grace Theodore
- Ken Tucker
- Tammy Trimble
- Catherine Van Noy
- Melissa Vidmar
The Mission of the Lyric Council is to enhance community participation in arts and culture by:
- maintaining and preserving the Lyric Theatre
- partnering with community arts groups, through the Lyric Theatre and the Community Arts and Information Office, to provide a diversity of films, live programs, arts information, and gallery opportunities and exhibitions to the community
- establishing and promoting Blacksburg, Virginia as an arts destination for the region.
Community Arts Information Office (CAIO)
“To foster and promote arts and culture in the New River Valley by providing: visibility for regional arts organizations; information on arts and cultural events; space to share resources, build networks, and facilitate communication.”
In April, 2009 the Lyric opened the Community Arts Information Office (CAIO) at 149 College Avenue (540-951-1772).
In the CAIO, you will find information on arts and cultural happenings throughout the region, rotating gallery shows, office space for not for profit organizations and community meeting space.